Clinical Post-Doctoral Research Officer at KEMRI- Wellcome Trust
The KEMRI Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is based within the KEMRI Centre for Geographic Medical Research – (Coast). Our core activities are funded by the Wellcome Trust. We conduct integrated epidemiological, social, laboratory and clinical research in parallel, with results feeding into local and international health policy. Our research platforms include state-of-the-art laboratories, a demographic surveillance system covering a quarter of a million residents, partnership with Kilifi County Hospital in health care and hospital surveillance, a clinical trials facility, a vibrant community engagement programme and a dedicated training facility. SANTHE is an acronym for “SUB-SAHARAN AFRICAN NETWORK FOR TB/HIV RESEARCH EXCELLENCE” - a Sub-Saharan African network of African-led research in HIV (particularly acute HIV (AHI)) and Tuberculosis (TB) infection. SANTHE aims to shape and drive locally relevant basic, clinical and translational research in Africa.
Wanted: A Clinical Post-Doctoral Research Officer.The Sub-Saharan Africa Network for TB/HIV research excellence (SANTHE) in collaboration with the KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) in Kilifi offers a two-year post-doctoral research fellowship in clinical epidemiology and public health with focus on sexually transmitted infections (STI) research in Mtwapa.
|CATEGORY:||Clinical Healthcare and Research|
|REPORTS TO:||Principal Investigator|
|DIRECTLY SUPERVISES:||1 Medical Doctor
3 Clinical Officers
The KEMRI clinic in Mtwapa has followed mostly male and female sex workers, and reported on HIV-1/STI acquisition risks in key publications. Currently the clinic provides ART and PrEP care to 300-400 participants. New protocols will include screening for acute HIV infection, partner notification services, and an HIV-vaccine trial to start in 2019.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF CLINICAL POST-DOCTORAL RESEARCH OFFICER
- New protocols will include screening for acute HIV infection, partner notification services, and an HIV-vaccine trial to start in 2019.
- Routine screening of Chlamydia and Gonorrhea infection is done through on-site X-pert testing, with subsequent isolation of N. Gonorrheoae at the KWTRP. Whole genome sequencing of 103 NG isolates has been completed in collaboration with Prof. Chris Tang at Oxford University.
- Under supervision of the PIs, Drs. Susan Graham and Eduard Sanders, the candidate will strengthen STI diagnosis and care in Mtwapa, conduct longitudinal analysis of CT/NG infection among different risk groups at first instance, and will be encouraged to develop his/her own protocol. Areas of interest for protocol development include sexual and reproductive health, mental health, substance abuse, and others.
- A PhD Holder.
- A registered Medical Doctor
- Demonstrable STI research experience through first and second author papers.
- Analytical skills, ability to think of new ideas/ outside the box and a well-developed capacity for follow through
- Attentive to detail with the ability to take and follow instructions and to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work in team and in a multi-cultural environment
- Aptitude for supervising junior staff and supporting capacity building initiatives
The SANTHE fellowship is for two years, and includes some research costs, and travel costs. For any Enquiries please contact Prof. Eduard Sanders – email@example.com.
To apply for this post you must be a registered user. Log into your account then go to Vacancies, view the post and click on the button: “Apply for this job”.
All applicants are required to state their current/last salary.
Candidates must supply an email and telephone contact that will be used when offering interviews. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce ORIGINALS of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates, original transcripts and testimonials, detailed curriculum vitae and valid clearance certificate (certificate of good conduct) during the interviews.
KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is an equal opportunity employer. Direct or indirect canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. KWTRP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees).
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://careers.kemri-wellcome.org/vacancy/clinical-post-doctoral-research-officer →