VIDEO: Nurses Union Officials TV Drama, A General MIA & Stephen The man
While we continue to urge concerned parties to alleviate the suffering of Kenyan, this must be viewed as an own goal by the nurses union officials in what is already a difficult task.
Barely a week ago, Dr. Ouma Oluga, the Secretary General of Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentist Union (KMPDU)in a hard-hitting no chills Facebook post called out underhand government tactics when dealing with health worker’s strikes. During the 100 doctor’s strike, another Facebook post this time to doctor’s in their closed group- ‘leaked’ revealing the real battle union officials face when dealing with an insincere government.
Today, 12 days in, the Nurses union came face to face with the propaganda machinery of the government. Three gentlemen Bii, Maina and Musundi had gathered the press at Railway’s Club ostensibly to call off the nurses strike. Anyone who has been keen on the intricacies of the nurses strike knows to well that the three gentlemen are not nurses union officials and therefore have no legitimacy.
But to the suffering public, any semblance of reprieve would have meant the world. Especially if the general is away.
Nurses Union Officials. Or not? The Stars of the show
The Oscars of this Jerry Springer -esque reality show by nurses union officials go to:
- Maina- For the sublime disappearing act.
- Stephen Rutere- It is Napoleon Bonaparte who said: “In politics, absurdity is not a handicap.” However crude his methods, Stephen Rutere achieved three things:
- Strengthened the resolve of Nurses by his show of open body-in-the-line defiance.
- In politics, it is said that you should never let the opponent have the headlines. American author Michael Shea, had this to say on how spin doctors achieve this, painting them as : “professional political strategists, able on behalf of their clients to manipulate the media – planting a story here, a rumour there, a tip-off somewhere else – so that any piece of news is tailored to show them in the best possible light.” With an unrelenting spirit, Stephen Rutere brought down the walls of government propaganda.
- The fury of Rutere’s brand of PR that almost degenerated into a fist fight hands parties in the industrial dispute a place to pick up negotiations from. Thanks to Rutere, this is was a war with spoils, not a nuclear war where the victor emerges with nothing. For example, negotiations towards an amicable solution can start with recognition by both parties of persons X, Y and Z as the bona-fide individuals mandated to negotiate on behalf of nurses.
The Missing General: Seth Panyako
More Kenya Health Crisis
Doctors’ Strike: Full Text Of Kenyan Government Statement that Critics label as Fundamentally Erroneous, Tyrannical and a Vicious Attack on Professionalism & Unionism